We attended a dope event last Thursday, where TikTok announced the nominations for the first SAMA28 TikTok viral song of the year award. This award is dedicated to the artists that saw us creating content to their songs, artists that pretty much dominated the platform in the last year.
There is no doubt that TikTok is making it easy for great artists to be recognised, and that’s why it’s one of those platforms that just can’t be ignored.
Yuvir Pillay, TikTok’s Music Operations Lead for SSA, says: “Music is a special part of TikTok’s creative DNA, and we have seen that songs going viral on the platform generally do well on streaming services as well. This plays an important role in the recognition of songs and artists, and influences other areas such as nominations, chart rankings and sales. We are honoured to have joined forces with an event like the SAMAs that boast the finest local music talent and contributes to the growth of the music industry.”
Here are the nominations for the Viral Song of The Year:
- 9umba & TOSS & Mdoovar – uMlando
- Dj Karri – Trigger
- Daliwonga – Abo Mvelo (feat. Mellow & Sleazy & M.J)
- Thozi – Sisonke (feat. Khanyisa, Sphokuhle & Pd Jokes)
- Ch’cco & Mellow & Sleazy – Nkao Tempela
- Major League Djz & Nvcho & Mathandos – Bakwa Lah
- Nomfundo Moh – Phakade Lami
- Dj Maphorisa & Tyler ICU – Banyana
- Young Stunna – Adiwele (feat. Kabza De Small & Dj Maphorisa)
- Costa Titch – Big Flexa
The TikTok Viral Song of the Year nominations can be voted for exclusively on TikTok from Thursday, 11 August at midday until 24 August; and the winner of this category will be announced at the live SAMA event taking place on 28 August 2022 in Sun City, North West.
To vote, simply:
- Download the TikTok app via your app store.
- Login/create a TikTok account.
- Select the search icon on the top right corner and tap the SAMA28 banner.
- Select your favourite song.
- Press vote.