Somizi takes leave of absence from Metro FM
According to the SABC, Metro FM management met with SA Idols judge Somizi Mhlongo following the abuse allegations levelled against him by his estranged husband Mohale Motaung. Somizi has requested a leave of absence from work, which Metro FM granted.
On Wednesday, the SABC announced on its Twitter feed that Metro FM management had met with Mhlongo, that “he has requested to take some time off from work” and that it “has granted Mr Mhlongo permission to do so.”
They also said that they had “noted the comments on social media about Mr Mhlongo and we would like to point out that the public service broadcaster does not condone any acts of abuse and violence.”
Over the weekend, Sunday World published an explosive article where Mohale Motaung shares how he was abused in the relationship with Somizi, just months into their relationship. An audio was also released, with Mohale detailing their relationship woes and the abuse that he suffered at the hands of Somizi.
Social media has been abuzz since the article and the audio were released, and many people have been calling for Somizi “to be cancelled”, questioning how he can continue to give relationship advice on Metro FM when he is allegedly responsible for abusing Mohale throughout their relationship and marriage.
In the audio, Mohale has alleged that Somizi broke his ribs at one point and almost knocked out two of his teeth in an altercation last year. He also said that Somizi damaged his car during one of their fights, when he tried to drive him off the road.
“The SABC can confirm that @METROFMSA management met with Mr. Somizi Mhlongo and he has requested to take some time off from work. Management has granted Mr. Mhlongo permission to do so.— SABC (@SABCPortal) August 4, 2021
The Corporation has also noted the comments on social media about Mr. Mhlongo and we would like to point out that the public service broadcaster does not condone any acts of abuse and violence”.— SABC (@SABCPortal) August 4, 2021